Monday, March 14, 2005

Every Day Matters - Toy. This is a real quick sketch - a really bad quick sketch but I won't have time during the week so here it is. When I was a little kid I used to pester - read whine, beg, cry that I wanted a puppy or kitten. Well, my mom was terrified of animals. My dad got tired of hearing this all the time and every time he would promise me that I could have a puppy. So much for the trust between a parent and child but that's another entry. Instead I had this little toy dog on wheels that I would drag everywhere with me. Then one day there was a fire in our apartment and everything was lost. I remember walking in there after the fire. I was maybe 5 years old but I can still remember seeing my little dog all burnt and broken. By the time I was 20 I was living on my own and the first thing I did was get 2 kittens. Lots of years later, I have 3 well loved cats who every now and then appear in my drawings. But I really loved that little toy dog.

4 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Darn it ! You're gonna make me cry ! How about some happy memories, like cool freshly mown grass under your bare feet. Or maybe...chocolate. ( Dark Chocolate)!
Yeah ! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :-)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Janey said...

Well, I didn't have a rather happy childhood but I got over it. We lived in the Bronx (NY). You wouldn't have walked barefoot either and I could have gotten tetnus if I did. But I do love my cats and my friends and I'm proud to say I'm a chocolate junkie.

10:57 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Chocolate WILL save the world. And cats. But only the talking kind from Ulthar. :-)

12:40 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Although it wasn't what I intended when I suggested this topic, I am really pleased with the way that it has drawn out childhood memories. Your little dog story is touching and your drawing, which includes the soot is wonderful.

Cheers
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles Journal

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

visitors to my little piece of the world
Web Counter