Tuesday, March 22, 2005

In response to Steve (aka Poison Pen), I have that fire in the belly feeling. It takes the form of an itch to have a pen in my hand and splash color over everything. I'm no Grandma Moses and at this stage in my life I really doubt I would ever make a living at this (not many people do I guess). What I want is to just do it. Just draw, color, learn new things and share what I've done. I guess it's something like outsider art. Those people had an absolute need to create and it didn't matter if anyone ever saw their work or not. It was simply not something they could not do. They had no choice. I feel like that. It's like breathing now. I'm more fortunate. I live in the era of the blog so I can share what I create.

And it's a good thing too. When I show my stuff to friends they can't seem to understand why I bother. Why bother with a website, why a blog, why draw that picture or make that quilt or that doll. What are going to do with it? I'm not doing anything with it. I'm creating it, that's the "doing with it". And now I can share that journey (and it really is one) with the world. And that person out there in Kansas or Italy or Japan will see it and maybe feel a little less odd, a little more connected and motivated to keep on creating. That's what this blog has done for me. I connected to a community of artists I never would have known existed except for this.

Well, gee that felt good. Thanks Steve.

8 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

That my girl ! Go gettum !

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jim Bumgarner said...

Wow, now I'm inspired too! You know, I agree with you, friends and family look and smile politely, some say, that's nice. I love creating this stuff too and being able to share it with like minded people from all over the world (Kansas, Tokyo, Italy..)is kinda breathtaking.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Janey said...

You hear all the time how the world is a much smaller place now with everything within reach at a moment's notice. I think it's the opposite. The world (mine at least) has gotten bigger and with each person that leaves a comment or receives a postcard from me, it gets bigger still. It's only my time to do things that's shrinking.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Janey said...

And I inspire myself sometimes. I only wish I could take my own advise:>

3:37 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Janey -- WELL PUT! :-)
(Now I have to find that print button so I can carry a copy of your words around in my pocket ...)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

Oh Janey I just love what you said here, I so agree ! I stopped drawing for many years but because blogging has given me a place to "publish" and share my stuff, I've started drawing again and remebering what fun it is ! Visiting all the other illustrated blogs is such fun and so inspiring and also challenging me to improve my skills. It's terrific to "meet" you, and other illustrated blogs, and see your joyful bright drawings !

8:32 PM  
Blogger Janey said...

Thank you all. Such nice comments from such talented people - I think I'm blushing.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one definitely (and unfortunately) untalented person, I LOVE your drawings and I admire your talent! Great stuff!
M. :)

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

visitors to my little piece of the world
Web Counter